Five Behavioral Stages of the Addiction Process
- Experimental Use – First or second use, use of gateway drugs, and/or peer pressure and group use.
- Regular Use – 90% of users – a general lack of negative consequences.
- Transition – Problems, isolation and tolerance develop.
- Early Dependence – Consequences grow, increasing awareness of the addiction to friends and family.
- Full Dependence – Addict is now aware of the addiction and has feelings of hopelessness, coupled with significant consequences (i.e., jail, hospital, death).
Warning Signs of Drug Dependency
- Increase in tolerance, amount and frequency
- Changes in personality
- Mood swings
- Avoiding friends and family
- Excuses, lying, denying, blaming
- Changes in lifestyle
- Trouble at home and work
- Withdrawal from friends, family and activities